Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Thanksgiving without the Macy's Day Parade


The last two months living in India have been full to the brim with festivals. All of them interesting, full of sweets and quite the experience. At home in New York, families are listening to Christmas music, singing “I’ll be home for Christmas”, baking pumpkin pies and celebrating our own types of festivals. While I miss my family and friends and the smell of fresh snow fall as it twinkles from the woods behind my parent’s house, it’s almost hard to imagine that at this moment, my sister is baking a cheesecake, my brother is home from college, the air has a chill to it and someone is forgetting to make the green bean casserole because I’m not there to remind them. There is no chill in the air in India in November although, Kushboo might tell you differently as she sits in my class wearing the thickest fleece I’ve ever seen. I told her today she makes me hot just looking at her. But, the other essentials that make the holidays so important have still been present in rural India this week.

Taiyaba and her family in Kadod were kind enough to open up their home, for the second year, to the Nanubhai fellows so we could prepare a “proper” Thanksgiving feast. It was a day of improvisation, ingenuity, creativity and family. The turkey was substituted by a “free range” chicken; freshly slaughtered and prepared in a toaster oven and the “smashed” potatoes were expertly mashed by Taiyaba’s daughters who were happy to be able to take charge of part of the preparations. In our little tiffin lunch boxes, the apple pies baked to perfection; the smell of cinnamon wafting out our apartment door and into the warm afternoon sunshine. Drew did his manly part in the kitchen by opening the cans of cranberry sauce with a knife and a little elbow grease. Soon, the table was full of food; a stray goat wandering in from the yard to watch the commotion and then, to add to it.

I thought of my family throughout the day. I missed working in the kitchen with my mom and carrying out the traditions that have been in place since I can remember. I missed the commotion of my big, Polish family. Still, with our feast before us, we all went around the room and said what we were thankful for; at Taiyaba’s urging. This year, I personally, have so much to be thankful for. This experience will always stand out as a highlight in my life and the friends we’ve made continue to change our perspectives daily.

When it came to my turn to say what I was thankful for, I thought of my mom, who sent so many of the ingredients for our Thanksgiving dinner. She always welcomed the neighbor from next door who had no family in the area to eat with us, or the family in the church who maybe couldn’t afford a big meal for the holidays. This year, I was the one in the guest’s seat, feeling blessed to be a part of the family, overwhelmed by the kindness, thankful for the smell of stuffing, my new friends around me and my family back home. It was a new and different experience and a little like cooking a holiday meal with all the accouterments available while on a camping trip but, it was a great time and I just wanted to take the opportunity to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and encourage you to consider all the ways you are blessed this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment