Sunday, July 18, 2010

India = Never Boring.





Boring? Yeh Qya Hai?
I have come to a conclusion that it is NEVER a boring day in India. The last time I thought I was bored was when I was on a restless 14 hour flight to India. Everyday there is a new adventure, a new word I may learn in Hindi, and a new face with a new name that I continuously forget.
This week has been intense: I started a pilot program for the Women’s Initiative Program. It’s call “Women’s Empowerment Mentorship Program”. It is about teaching young women about influential Indian women, careers they can pursue and how important it is to continue an education. After a week of getting permission slips signed by parents and finding a location to host the class, I had a successful 3 days of the program. It is held every Monday-Wednesday during recess in the auditorium. I have 11 girls currently attending the class and their inputs on various subjects have been clever and knowledgeable. For example, they asked me about the American culture and I said, “Well in America, most Indian women, don’t wear Indian clothes. We may wear jeans and a shirt.” Then one of my students interrupted by saying, “But teacher, we wear jeans and t-shirts too.” These young women recognize the difference between the standing of men and women in India and they realize the different roles women now play from the past. I am interested to see how these young women grow and I hope they benefit from what I can offer them.
Another enjoyable event this week is when I taught classes at the English Medium School just 5 minutes up the road from Madhi High School. I teach 1-4th standard and boy are they adorable. This Thursday I met the music teacher, Vijay Bhai, and I had a few music lessons. He has an amazing voice and the children always love watching him and singing along. Later in the day when I was teaching the 3rd standard class a student walks up to me with his tooth in his hand, “Teacher, my tooth fell out!” After taking a few pictures of his new found excitement, I told him about the tooth fairy, and sent him on his way to the nurse. Next thing I know, three of my students come up to me to show me their teeth waiting to fall out. I laughed and said, “Wow, look at that! Please don’t pull it out now…”

No comments:

Post a Comment