Sunday, August 29, 2010

We're Getting There

A few weeks ago, Yogeshbhai, my co-teacher, and I made an agreement that if I taught him how to speak English more fluently/accurately, he would teach me Hindi. At the get-go, we had a pretty hard time communicating with each other. For example, I'd say something like, "We should think about how we can get the students more interested in their English lessons." He would stare at me for a couple of seconds then turn back to his work hoping that whatever I just said didn't need a response.

Since then, we've taken huge leaps in our ability to communicate with each other. We plan class lesson plans together and talk about what works and what doesn't. But there's still more work to be done. We had this conversation a few days ago:

Me: What exactly do people mean when they say Muhje samaj pari?
Yogesh: (says something that I just could not understand) Do you understand?
Me: ... No.
Yogesh: I know. (laughs and puts up his hand for a high-five)

No comments:

Post a Comment