Monday, August 31, 2009

"TEACHER, TEACHER, TEACHER!"


On Tuesday and Fridays in the late afternoon you can find me on the 3rd floor of the primary building teaching my 7B class. Stretching to the very back of the long classroom, eager young faces in blue smocks and white Oxfords challenge me to hold their attention and encourage them to learn. Just this last week my co-teacher wasn't in class so I entered the class alone to a chorus of "Good afternoon, Teacher!!" It usually takes me a few moments to calm this energetic group of kids down while I'm left wondering where they get all that energy at so late in the day. I, for one, am exhausted by the heat and the communication gaps. After a few minutes of listing our dislikes and likes on the board, the Principal walks in. He often teaches a nearby class and today must have been one of those days. Apparently, we were getting a little too rowdy and he was having trouble hearing in his class! This reprimand lasted about...2 minutes, before he came back in again. Of course, I can't guess at ALL of what he was saying but, I did gather this...."All I hear is, TEACHER, TEACHER, TEACHER!!! Raise your hand and she will call on you!" I'm afraid that the concept of sitting quietly and waiting for the teacher to call on them is sort of lost on this crowd but I did learn that most of the class dislikes brinjal (eggplant) and one students actually said he didn't like ice-cream. I asked him if he was sick and put my hand on his forehead to check his temperature. He thought this was funny, but I just think, how could anyone not like ice-cream?

In other news, volleyball practices are in full swing at Madhi. This sport seems to be a common favorite among both male and female students as well as the faculty, who are gearing up for a staff game after September exams are over. I have to admit that I do not possess an affinity for this game so I opt to be the photographer and supporter. Lyndi, on the other hand, played college volleyball so she gets right in there. I have recently been guilt-ed by my students that "Lyndi madam plays, will you play?" I may have to feign an injury soon. In the meantime, here are some shots of Lyndi playing volleyball in a sari! Now, that is not easy, friends. Walking is challenging, let alone playing a sport! Meghan from Bajipura school makes a guest appearance also. Stay tuned at the end of September for the outcome of the staff game! I will be sure to have lots of pictures for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment