Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Watery Wishes

Today I was sitting on my balcony listening to my iPod and enjoying a rare cool breeze when I noticed a bunch of women gathering across the street. Two women were carrying on their heads a wooden board that was covered in flowers while the other women followed behind singing and chanting. My interest piqued, and I began to watch more intently. They started to fill buckets with water and they approached a group of men, and without hesitation threw the water all over them. Then the men turned on a hose and started to retaliate. I ran to get my camera, not wanting to miss this cultural event unfolding before me even though I was completely oblivious to what was really going on. Some of the women noticed me documenting them and I gave them a shy smile and wave. As they continued on through the street they poured water on anyone they could. Every house was visited and the owner would come out to pour water on the women holding the flowers. I was so enthralled with what was going on that I didn’t hear the three women run up my stairs with bottles of water which they poured all over me. This is how I came to join in with them.

I followed the women from house to house, not understanding anything that was being said to me, but still thoroughly enjoying the moment. At one point they gestured to the head pieces and seemed to ask if I wanted to put it on. At first I was hesitant, not sure what my role would be or even what to do, but I didn’t want to pass up such a unique opportunity. I obliged and took the heavy piece and placed it on my head. It was awkward and I had to hold it with both hands as I walked, being careful to keep my head level so as not to dump the flowers on the ground. At the first house the inhabitant seemed very surprised to see me. She then took some water and poured it over the flowers on my head. Then she sprinkled some sugar and sprinkled more water on me. This was done at every house I went to and soon I was soaking wet, so much so that I was afraid my pants were going to fall off! At one point someone took the head piece back and I was able to squeeze out some water from my shirt and scarf and tighten my pants. As the sun went down, so did the temperature and soon I was shivering. I bid farewell to the group and made my way home, leaving a trail of water spots behind me on the road. When I got home I stripped off my wet clothes, jumped in a cold shower and went to bed. As I lay in bed trying to fall asleep I heard the sound of rain on my window. The monsoon had finally arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment