Thursday, September 2, 2010

Happy Krishna Janmashtami!

Today, Hindus around the world celebrated Krishna Janmashtami, a festival commemorating the birth of the god, Krishna. Thanks to Hiren Patel's enormous generosity, I was able to witness parts of the celebration in his community and with his family. All over Kadod, families and friends gathered in houses and temples lifting up prayers and offerings to the baby Lord Krishna. As I took time to soak it all in during the night, I came to really appreciate the intrinsic value of being a member of such a small, close-knit community. It's something that I and many others miss out on in the states, being able to see your neighbors as friends and even family.

According to Hiren, in years past, communities in Kadod would begin celebrating Janmashtami and have songs and prayers occurring 24 hours a day for 8 consecutive days. That practice has been left to tradition, but members of the Hindu community here will still pray and sing several hours a day during this time of celebration. Thank you again, Hiren!



1 comment:

  1. Oh my...I never saw what the noise maker looked like from the temple. Now I know exactly where the sounds were coming from! That's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete